background

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Going Farm Girl!


I have this strong desire to live on a farm....all these overly romanticized ideals of corn as high as an elephants eye, chickens (no poop) free ranging happily, and a sweet cow (all milk, no poop). And of course, the animals all sleep past 9am. So, having toured a couple of 2-6 acre properties for sale in the past few months, I finally have come to my senses. I love my sleep too much, I can hardly keep up with my 1/4 acre yard, and I get tired cleaning up after the dog, much less multiple bovine. So, we reached a compromise. 4 cute little chickies.....hopefully, all girls! I keep telling the kids, "Don't get attached...if one turns out to be a rooster...he'll have to become soup." I was absolutely amazed how quickly I became attached! (You knew I would!) On the way home from the farm store, I was struck with how fragile these little lives were! We got the last four at the store....of course the slowest, least desirable ones. But I think that was God's purpose....knowing that these four could quite possibly become the most pampered hens in Central Oregon. (The feed store employees already think I'm nuts.) So, we'll be happy on our quarter acre with our 4 new little girls. Although, they've already shown me the idiocy of my no poop ideal. Oh, well, it's good for the soil, right?

5 comments:

kim said...

Yeah! Little chicks! I'm jealous of the weeks of cute little fluff-balls. Poop aside, you'll be happy. This spring's eggs have been a joy to gather, a gift to eat. Peace, friend!

Author said...

Wow! Good luck with the little chicks! They look darling.
Jamie

Unknown said...

Cute! Nothin' better'n little chicks...until they turn into chickens. :-)
www.diaryof1.com

Mrs. Pevensie said...

How fun! Are they Marans? They look like they could be. Marans are so friendly. Handle them a lot and have fun!

Laurie Chase Kruczek said...

Those look like either Australorps or Black sex-link chicks. I'm probably wrong though LOL. BTW, how are your chicks doing? Did you end up with a few roos? I haven't read here in a while, so maybe you've already answered those questions for me on this blog, I don't know :)