background

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Beauty in all things

Several years ago, I read a book by Edith Schaeffer entitled Hidden Art. Schaeffer uses this book to elevate the art of homemaking to a spiritual practice. Although now somewhat dated (every feminist bone in your body might scream), the underlying message of finding hidden places for creating beauty and using one's home as a canvas is one that I hold dear. Examples? Like garnishing the asparagus with a pansy the other night. ("Mommy, are we eating flowers?") Adding doodle illustrations to the shopping list so the preschooler can "read" the list to me in the store. Or these little notebooks.........................
I made 20 of these this week as journals for the participants in Finding the Way of Jesus. Each one is made in a different color scheme featuring the FTWOJ logo I designed. This modern take on a Japanese style binding is acheived by using a stretchy hair band and a bamboo skewer cut to length. My hope is that these books will be a visible record of the things Jesus is teaching us.

My husband's comment was, "Wow, I was visualizing notebook paper cut in half, folded, and maybe stapled."

Just my small way of creating beauty in all things.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Love it - I can so see Pat saying that, and stand with him amazed at the beauty you create all around. Thanks for the invite to read, I laughed out loud several times down the page. Oh, I love you.
Sandy