background

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Summer Reading

Yesterday, was our (usually) weekly trip to the library. Yet again, we dragged home a huge bag of books. As soon as we land in the living room, the bag is dumped out and the scurry begins. Every kiddo digs through the pile, searching for their own book treasure. (It looks a lot like the chickens scratching through their food plate.) And then .....peace settles over the household! Everyone in their little corner being transported to castles, barnyards, and pirate ships. Then I take a look at my books.....Which one should I choose to read for this moment?

My daughter and I are very similiar, in that, we both usually have 4-5 books going at a time. Here's what I'm reading:

Jesus for President by Shane Clairborne: Asks the question, "What would our lives as Christ followers look like if we truly let Jesus be our leader in all we do spiritually, economically, and politically?" Great words...but I love the scrappy art style too.

Keep Chickens! by Barbara Kilarski: My guidebook for raising chickens in a small suburban place.

A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L'engle: One of my all time favorite authors. We've been listening to this one in the car as a family. I love the allegories that can be drawn from this book. If you've ever wanted another picture for John 15 ("remain in me," Christ the vine, etc), this has some beautiful thoughts.

Uncommon Grounds by Mark Pendergrast: The history of coffee and the world. My husband and I are in the early stages of starting a coffee roastery/shop, so this has been very interesting. More about that development later.

Searching for God Knows What by Donald Miller: Good stretching-your-faith stuff.

DragonFire by Donita Paul: I need some sort of east fictional story in all of my spiritual, world politics, history heaviness. A allegorical dragon, wizard story with a strong female character..might be handing this one down to my daughter after I'm done....If she doesn't finish her list first and grab it from my pile!

No comments: