background

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Compost Happens!


My friend has had this bumper sticker on the back of her car. Yesterday as I watered my compost bin, I thought, "That is so not true." In our high desert environment, compost does not just happen. I have to water it like some prima donna plant, and pitchfork turn the pile, if I want anything more then just a bunch of stinky rotting veggie scraps and chicken crap. If I wait long enough, pretty soon I've got some really good soil to spread around my garden.


A better bumper sticker would be: When life gives you crap....make compost!


What if we would take the junk of life, and instead of just letting it mold and putrify into bitterness, treat it with a good watering of the Holy Spirit, and a turning away from sin? With healing time, those deep hurts, and painful events, decompose into some wonderfully rich wisdom and a deeper love for our Creator. A Creator who can turn crap into good soil.

3 comments:

kim said...

i love hearing your thoughts. hope you keep it up. looking forward to when we can see each other, friend! kim

runninggal said...

I love it Mandy! Now if I were to analyze my garden too hard to compare it to my life, I might come up short...lots of weeds, little edible food this year, and a bunch of new red mulch. Any ideas what that could mean about my soul's journey?

:)
www.runninggalinsights.blogspot.com

Laurie Chase Kruczek said...

Chickens will eat most of those scraps, too. You can make compost OR fatter chickens ;)