background

Saturday, July 18, 2009

How does your garden grow?


My garden has surprised me this year. I rarely get out to it....we've been doing a major remodel at the coffeehouse. My care of it has been an occasional weeding frenzy while talking on the phone, or rushing out to grab a handful of greens for dinner. Even without daily supervision, we've manage to harvest lettuce, turnips, cabbage, raspberries, and carrots. Corn was waist high by the fourth of July. And of course, there will be more squash and zucchini than anyone needs. All I can say for the success of it this year is a big thank you to whoever invented automatic watering systems! That, and years of compost and hard work.

Reminds me of our spiritual lives. There are seasons of hard work, pulling out the weeds in our souls, allowing God to turn the bad stuff into good stuff, planting a few seeds.  Then He allows us a season of just-add-water. Regular watering of our hearts. He's in charge of the rest...the growth that occurs daily without us even noticing. A week, a month, a season later, we look back and say, "Wow, look how much I've grown! See what God can do if I let Him be in charge!"

Thanks God, for being faithful to attend to the details in the garden of my heart.

No comments: